Boys track and field takes second at True Team

Bea Frank, Feature Editor

• Parker Brown, senior, runs the 110 meter hurdles at the True Team State meet.

• Joe Swenson, junior, competes in the 110 meter hurdles.

• Sam Branson, senior, runs one leg of the 4×800 meter relay.

• Boye Mafe, junior, high jumps at the True Team State meet.

• Isaac Kadoun, senior, prepares his shotput throw.

• Four of the high school track coaches watch the athletes at the True Team State meet.

• The Hopkins boys track track team poses for photos with their trophy. They took second place at the True Team State meet.

• Seth Eliason, junior, competes in the 400 meter dash.

• Eli Hoeft, freshman, competes in the 1600 meter run.

• Owen Hoeft, senior, competes in the 1600 meter run at the True Team meet.

• Nate Johnson, junior, pole vaults at the True Team meet.

• Boye Mafe, junior, runs in the 100 meter dash at the True Team State meet.

• Max Harlan, senior, runs the 100 meter dash at the True Team State meet.

• Ben Leervig, junior, races one leg of the 4×200 meter relay.

Track and field, like most other high school athletics, has a state competition sanctioned by the Minnesota State High School League at the end of each season. But, in addition to these regular state meets, in which individuals compete based on qualifications, track and field has True Team State several weeks prior, which the entire team has to qualify for through a True Team sections meet.

True Team was created by the Minnesota State High School Coaches Association in order to assess overall team skill instead of just individual athletes, and to encourage the development of all events, both on the track and in the field.

On Friday, May 20, the Hopkins Boys Track and Field team competed in True Team State, earning the second place title. This was the third time the boys have made it to True Team State in the past five years, and their highest finish since 2006 in which they also took second place.

A week earlier, the Hopkins Track and Field team competed in the True Team sections meet, the qualifying meet for True Team State, with the boys taking second place. Although only teams that finish first in their section get an automatic spot at True Team State, the Hopkins boys team won the wild card spot that grants the highest-scoring second-place team in Minnesota the opportunity to compete.

Seth Eliason, junior, competed in the 400 meter dash, 800 meter run, and the 4×400 meter relay, in which he placed fourth, second, and second, respectively.

“We were really hoping for the win but taking second is still a great day,” Eliason said. “All of the guys really stepped up, and I’m excited to try to get back to state next year.”