Royals sail through quarterfinal against the Pirates

Noah Fogel, Staff Reporter

• Nia Hollie, Michigan State University, Basketball- First year on Varsity: Freshman year, 2012. Favorite memory: Winning the State championship, 2015, and receiving Minn. Miss Basketball, 2016.

• Angie Hammond, junior, shoots a free throw in the quarterfinal state game.

• K’Aezha Wubben, senior, defends the ball in the offensive end during the quarterfinal state game.

• Paige Bueckers, eighth grade, shoots a three pointer in the quarterfinal state game.

• Ashley Bates, senior, goes in for a layup in the quarterfinal state game.

• Nia Hollie, senior, goes in for a layup in the quarterfinal state game.

Although the Hopkins student section attendance was rather quiet, Ashley Bates, senior, is the talk of the town after her oustanding State quarterfinal performance. Bates put up 28 points while knocking down a handful of threes. In addition, Nia Hollie, senior, crashed the boards viscously and played great defense on Park Center’s star forward Mikayla Hayes, junior.

The Royals looked poised and ready to go during their warm ups and knew they had a target on their back of their sleek black jerseys. Defending the state title is something they are used too, having won six out of the past eleven championships. Defending AAA state champions Park Center Pirates was their first challenge.

The game started off with the Royals sloppy offense which created multiple turnovers and Park Center taking and making a lot of open shots. But right from the start it was easy to tell Hopkins was the better team. They were taller, faster, and stronger. They grabbed rebounds, hustled for loose balls, and scored in transition.

Later in the first half the Royal’s defense made up for their offensive mistakes and took over the game. Their half-court press seemed impenetrable and very difficult for the Park Center team to break. These turnovers caused by the press turned into fast break points and many opportunities at the free throw line.

To start the second half the Pirates were reenergized. Ann Simonet, junior, racked up 30 points.

Regardless of the scoring outburst, the number one seed Royals were able to continue the momentum from the first half into the second and closeout the Pirates 81-69.

The Royals next matchup is against the Eastview Lightning. The Lightning are 22-4 and second in the South Suburban conference. Their leading scorer Rachel Ranke 16.7 PPG.

The game will take place on Thursday, Mar. 17, at Williams Arena on the University of Minnesota campus.