Saldanha shines on ice

Seth Eliason, Staff Reporter

photo provided by Saldahna
photo provided by Meghna Saldanha

For some, just getting out on the ice is a challenge. However, for Meghna Saldanha, sophomore, getting out on the ice is not enough. She prefers to be doing toe loops, lutz, salchow, or even an axel.

Saldanha has had great success skating over the years. Her resume includes United States Figure Skating gold medalist for moves in the field and a pre-bronze medalist in freestyle. Both of these honors are very challenging to attain, even for a skater at Saldanha’s level.

But this is one of the biggest reasons why she enjoys it so much.

“I love figure skating because it never gets easier with time, so you always have to put in one hundred percent to reach your goals,” Saldanha said.

Saldanha trains and competes with the Lake Minnetonka Figure Skating Club. LMFSC trains young skaters and perform in competitions throughout the Midwest.

With all of her hard work and effort, Saldanha hopes to eventually earn a gold medal in freestyle as well, becoming a double gold medalist. To do this, she will have to take challenging tests that will require her to display all the skills she has learned so far in her skating career.

Putting in the hard work is not all that makes skating worthwhile. She also loves being with friends that she has met over the past 11 years of skating. With the small community of skaters, Saldanha has made many significant friendships to last a lifetime.

“You get to meet many great people through the figure skating community. And I love spending time at the rink with my skating friends,” Saldanha said.