Registration begins for 2016-17 school year

Michael Korsh, Staff Reporter

As the 2015-16 school year reaches the halfway point, students and staff have become focused on final exams, winter athletics, and, now, registration for the 2016-17 school year.

Today, during an extended Advisory, sophomores and juniors were handed course catalogs and worksheets to help them register for classes for the next school year. Counselors were also present in Advisory classrooms to help guide the students through their course options.

The 2016-17 course catalog features several new classes, as well as classes added from last year, especially in the World Language department.

AP Spanish Literature and Culture is being introduced to continue the Juntos Spanish Immersion program, but is still available for students wishing to accelerate their Spanish studies. Additionally, Chinese 1 and 2 courses are being added to supplement the XinXing Chinese Immersion program, allowing students to take a language that has never been offered at HHS before.

Incoming sophomores from NJH and WJH will also be introduced to registration this month. New offerings for these students include a revision of the Honors Biology courses into two, rather than three, strands: a “dissection” and a “non-dissection” course. Incoming sophomores will register on Feb. 4 and Feb. 5.

To assist with the registration process, counselors will be available in the Career Center during TASC on Jan. 21, Feb. 1, and Feb. 4. HHS will also be hosting the annual Registration Night on Jan. 27 from 6 pm to 8 pm. During this night, students and parents will be able to hear more about course offerings from teachers and administration.

The online registration window through Infinite Campus will open on Jan. 19. The window will remain open until the registration deadline on Feb. 8. Visit www.HopkinsRegister.org for instructional videos about graduation requirements and the registration process.