HHS seniors nominated for AAA Award

Alex Kim, Sports Blogger

Every year two HHS seniors are nominated to be AAA Awards winners. The purpose of the program is to elevate academic standards, create a greater awareness of League-sponsored activities, and highlight students that have “excelled in the classroom, on the athletic field, and in the fine arts.”

This year Grace O’Neil and Owen Hoeft, seniors, were nominated. Both students were selected among many applicants to receive this honor.  

In order for one to be eligible for the AAA Award, the student must have accomplished certain criteria.

First, the student must be a high school senior at the time at the time of their nomination. Teachers nominate students who then fill out applications explaining why they qualify for the award. The student must hold a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher and participate in League-sponsored athletics and fine arts activities. Lastly, the student must comply with the MSHSL’s Student Code of Conduct.

O’Neil currently holds a 3.97 GPA and participates in gymnastics, soccer, and choir. She is the senior captain for both sports and has sung as an alto two in chamber choir and concert choir for two years.

Hoeft’s accumulative GPA is 3.91 and he is the senior captain in both boy’s cross country and track and field. Hoeft also participates in choir, and has sung in concert choir as a tenor one for two years.

AAA Award recipients are selected by a long process and a selected committee of educators, business leaders, and members from the athletic and fine arts communities. The award will be given out to a boy and girl from both a Class A and a Class AA school and will both receive four-year $1,000 scholarships.

On how receiving Hopkins’ Triple A award felt, O’Neil and Owen both agreed that it was a big honor. “Overall, I think my mom was more excited than me,” said Hoeft.