Back-to-back wins for boys basketball

Noah Kaplan, Sports Editor

On Friday, Dec. 4, the 3-0 Royals boys basketball team took their talents to St. Francis High School to battle the 2-1 Fighting Saints of St. Francis High School.

The Royals started the game well and dominated all facets of the game as they went into the locker room with a 20 point lead, 43-23. Despite the Royals’ expanded rotation in the second half, Simon Wright, junior, led Royals scorers with 21 points as the Royals kept their foot on the gas through the final buzzer, resulting in a 82-43 blowout.

In the victory, the Royals had nine scorers, all of which had three or more points. These came from Blaise Beauchamp, eighth grade, with five points, as well as Xavier Johnson, Vinnie Shahid, and Amir Coffey, seniors.

The next day, the 4-0 Royals hosted Des Moines Hoover in the Breakdown Sports USA Tip-off Classic at HHS. Again, the Royals got on a roll early and were able to ride Coffey’s 10-for-12 shooting, 25 point, and eight rebound first half stat line to end the first half leading Hoover 58-33.

“We didn’t really know much about this team. We just went out there and played our game,” said Simon Wright, junior.

With a final score of 93-70, the Royals were able to keep their hopes of an undefeated season alive. The Royals top three scorers Coffey (32), Shahid (27), and Wright (16) outscored the entire Hoover team.

The next challenge for the Royals will be Dec. 11. as they travel to Wayzata to take on the Trojans. That matchup will be followed by a game against the Apple Valley Eagles, the number one ranked team in the state.

“A lot of my teammates and I are good friends with kids on the Apple Valley team. We just need to focus in practice and put our trust in Coach Novak; he is what will get us the win,” said Wright.