Royals trump Cougars in second game of season

provided by Jarrin Williams

Simon Wright, junior, dunks during his 24-point performance against the Cougars. The Royals moved to 2-0 after this win.

Max Weesner, Staff Reporter

The Royals cruised to another early-season victory Tuesday night, defeating Lakeville South High School by a score of 91-68.

While the Cougars gave Hopkins more of a challenge than the Bloomington Kennedy Eagles, they were missing point guard, Jack Sorenson, their top scorer from last season. Without Sorenson, Lakeville South struggled to control the ball on offense, giving the Royals numerous fast-break opportunities.

Xavier Johnson, senior, backed up his 30-point performance against Kennedy with 21 points against the Cougars. Amir Coffey, senior, scored 18 points, including an emphatic and-one dunk over Lakeville South’s 6’6” sophomore, Shae Mitchell.

In their first game, the Royals were missing two junior starters Ishmael El-Amin and Simon Wright. Last night, Wright returned from an ankle injury and made an impact immediately.

Wright was a key asset for the Royals in his first game of the season. He finished with a game-high 24 points on 10-of-13 shooting. He also contributed 10 rebounds, three assists, and four steals.

Despite being expected to miss two weeks with an ankle sprain and bone bruise, Wright returned to game action just six days after his injury.

“When I was out, I was very motivated to get back. It felt amazing being on the court and playing with my teammates,” Wright said.

The win came at an expense for the Royals, as seniors Erik Davis and Vinnie Shahid both sustained injuries.

Davis suffered a foot injury, and is expected to be out for 7 to 10 days. Shahid sustained a patella bone bruise and knee tendinitis. He could be out from three days to two weeks.

In their first home game the Royals will compete in a matchup with Fond Du Lac Ojibwe on Saturday, Nov. 28 at 3 pm at the Hopkins Lindbergh Center.