Boys basketball opens season with 40-point victory

Max Weesner, Staff Reporter

Last year, the Bloomington Kennedy Eagles finished the year with a 9-15 record and a season-ending 34-point loss to the Shakopee Sabers in Sections.

The Royals made sure the Eagles didn’t get their new season off to a good start.

Despite missing starters Ishmael El-Amin, junior, and Simon Wright, junior, the Royals defeated the Eagles with a score of 94-54. Stepping into the starting lineup in place of El-Amin and Wright were Joe Hedstrom, sophomore, and Xavier Johnson, senior.

The Royals’ talent and stifling defense proved to be too much for the Eagles.

Johnson stepped up for the Royals, getting the team off to a fast start, and finishing with a game-best 30 points. Amir Coffey, senior, returned from last season’s ACL injury and contributed 19 points for the Royals, including two thunderous dunks.

“It felt great [to be back.] I was really looking forward to getting back on the court and competing with my teammates again,” Coffey said.

The road to the state tournament is off to a fast start for the Royals, and they will look to continue their momentum into next week, when they play two more games against the Lakeville South Cougars and the Fond Du Lac Ojibwe Ogichida.

The Royals will play the Cougars in an away contest on Nov. 24 at 7 pm at Lakeville South High School.