Boys soccer ends regular season, enters playoffs

• Kevin Kirk, senior, is escorted onto the field by his parents.

• Senior players line up for a photo.

• Andrew Shirley, University of St. Thomas, Soccer- First year on Varsity: Sophomore year, 2013. Favorite memory: Winning the State cup and playing at the Midwest Regionals with Minneapolis United.

• Nico Soffer, University of St. Thomas, Soccer- First year on Varsity: Sophomore year, 2013. Favorite memory: Playing and representing the State through the Olympic Developmental Program.

• Alex Swenson, senior, celebrates with Romario Sanchez Tlacomulco, senior, after scoring.

Alex Kim, Staff Reporter

The Hopkins boys soccer team ended their regular season strong on Saturday morning.

The Royals beat Mound Westonka 5-1 in their senior game, and last game of the regular season.

The Hopkins offense played aggressive from the start and kept Mound’s defense on their heels for most of the game. The defense played solidly throughout the game, allowing only one goal.

All five goals came from different seniors. An enthusiastic crowd cheered on as goals from Alex Swenson, Brandon Speich, Isaac Johnson, Andrew Shirley, and Romario Sanchez Tlacomulco were evenly spread throughout the game

The Royals need their newfound momentum to get them off to a hot start in the boy’s soccer 2A section tournament.

The Royals play their first playoff game on Thursday against the number eight team in the state, Minneapolis South. The game will be held at Minneapolis Roosevelt High School and kickoff at 7 pm.