Football falters in fourth quarter loss to Skippers

• On Oct. 2, the Royals lost to the Minnetonka Skippers in a close game, ending at 34-28. The student section cheered on in pink in honor of the beginning of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

Max Weesner, Staff Reporter

After leading at the end of the second and third quarters, the Hopkins Royals were shocked by a late touchdown by the Minnetonka Skippers.

Minnetonka relied heavily on the run game and their defense in a 34-28 defeat of the Royals.

The Skippers rushed the ball 42 times for 224 yards and three scores.

Their rushing attack was led by junior quarterback Garrett Olson. Olson ran for over 100 yards and two touchdowns. He attempted only 10 passes.

Despite averaging an impressive 5.9 yards per carry, the Royals threw the ball six more times than they ran it. As a result, the Minnetonka defense intercepted two passes, returning one of them 80 yards for a Skipper touchdown.

Even though Minnetonka held the edge on the ground and in the turnover battle, the fourth quarter began with the Royals leading by two points. JaMichael Ellis, senior, ran the ball in from four yards out to give Hopkins the lead late in the third quarter.

The fourth quarter, however, belonged to Minnetonka.

After Olson threw a touchdown pass to senior receiver Amar Miller with 9:27 left in the game, the Royals offense stalled, giving Minnetonka its third win of the season.

One bright spot for the Royals was receiver Henry Brott, senior, scoring his first varsity touchdown on a 5-yard reception.

The 2-5 Royals will look to end their regular season on a positive note as they travel to the Prior Lake High School Stadium on October 9 at 7 pm to face the Prior Lake Lakers.