• On the right, Isaac Kadoun, senior, stares down a Hornet as Oscar Johnson, senior, prepares to receive the ball.

• JaMichael Ellis, senior, runs downfield unchallenged.

• Malik Lofton, senior, tosses the football to the referee after scoring a touchdown.

• The student section cheers on as the Royals face the Hornets.

• Royals await the snap of the ball.

• Mannie Kugmeh, senior, comes to a halt during the game against Edina.

• Dylan Drone, University of Wisconsin, Stout, Football- First year on Varsity: Sophomore year, 2013. Favorite memory: Beating Wayzata at their own Homecoming in overtime, junior year, 2014.

Football falls to Edina

Sep 14, 2015

The Edina Hornets got their revenge.

After having their season ended by Hopkins in 2014, the Hornets bounced back, beating the Royals 42-21. Junior receiver Parker Rickert proved to be too much for the Hopkins secondary to handle, as he grabbed eight passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns.

The Royals struck first, scoring on a short touchdown run by JaMichael Ellis, senior. After an answer from Edina, Oscar Johnson, senior, connected with Malik Lofton, junior, for a 22-yard touchdown strike.

After trading touchdowns again, the momentum turned just before the half.

With 44.9 seconds remaining before halftime, Hopkins kicked off to Edina. Seven plays later, the Royals were penalized for roughing the passer with no time left on the clock, giving Edina one more untimed play.

The Hornets didn’t waste the opportunity.

Junior quarterback Brock Boltmann connected with Rickert on a 38-yard heave for a game-tying touchdown. From that point on, the game belonged to the Hornets.

“After the Hail Mary, the momentum shifted to Edina, and we were never able to get it back in the second half,” said Alex Bowers, senior.

Edina went on to score 28 unanswered points.

Despite the disappointing finish, one player stood out for Hopkins: Mannie Kugmeh, senior. Kugmeh caught five passes for 88 yards, while also contributing nine tackles on defense.

The Royals will look to bounce back on Sept. 18 at 6:00 pm against the Shakopee Sabers on Hopkins’ Homecoming.