Volleyball loses to Spartans

Trianna Downing, Managing Editor

Last night, the Royals volleyball team lost to the Orono Spartans 1-3.

In the beginning of the first set, the Royals were tied with the Spartans 7-7. The Royals pushed ahead and led with a score of 17-15. However, the Spartans fought back and ended the set 25-21.

The second set began with a Royals lead of 14-10. The Spartans pulled ahead to lead 20-18, causing coach Vicki Swenson to call their second timeout of the set. Swenson substituted Lauren Ortiz, junior, in for starting libero, Nicole Dewitz, senior, following the timeout. The Royals then proceeded to fight back against the Spartans, going overtime and ultimately winning the set 28-26.

The third set proved the Spartans’ fight to win, with them leading 13-9. Amanda Gans, senior, served a consecutive six points for the Royals, allowing them to pull ahead with a 15-13 lead.  However, the Spartans pulled ahead 21-17, inducing a timeout called by the Royals. The Spartans, unfazed by the timeout, quickly went on to finish the set 25-20.

In the final set, the Royals were ahead 17-10 when the Spartans came back with a run of nine points. Varsity coach Vicki Swenson called the second time out of the set with the Spartans leading 21-19. The Spartans ended the close set with a 25-22 win.

This was the Royals’ second non-conference loss, placing them at a 1-2 record.

Their next game is Sept. 8 at 7 pm versus the Roseville Raiders at Roseville High School.