“You Can’t Take it With You” review

Ruby Krietzman

Mo Robblee, junior, acts as Boris Kolenkhov alongside Olivia Gulden, sophomore, playing Alice.

Adeline Lennon and

This critique represents the personal views of blogger Adeline Lennon. Lennon’s views do not necessarily reflect those of The Royal Page staff as a whole.

Fireworks, snakes, and impromptu wrestling matches all collided to create Hopkins Royal  Production’s presentation of You Can’t Take It With You, directed by Natalie Foster.

On May 14, 15, and 16, HHS students hit the stage clad in vintage 1930’s costumes to tell the story of an unlikely romance between Alice Sycamore and Tony Kirby to a total of 400 playgoers. Alice Sycamore was played by Olivia Gulden, sophomore, and Tony Kirby was played by Hanson Keller, junior.

It’s the classic Romeo and Juliet tale of star-crossed lovers from disapproving families. In this case, the high-class Kirby’s are appalled at the eccentricities of the wacky Sycamore’s. Alice is conflicted- she loves her family, but is embarrassed by what the Kirby’s might think of their oddities. Gulden’s perfectly indecisive performance evoked a similar uncertainty from her audience; in the midst of a tumultuous and comedic show, Alice’s longing for Tony is not forgotten.

Beyond this central romance, Asher Weisberg’s, junior, portrayal of Grandpa Vanderhof offered a comforting voice of reason, despite his own bizarre actions (i.e. fascination with snakes, years of tax evasion). Weisberg’s ability to appear levelheaded yet insane left audiences questioning the true definition of “normal.”

Throughout the play, craziness seemed to be the only stagnant. Dylan Judge-Steuck, junior, played Mr. Sycamore, a pyrotechnician constantly at work setting things ablaze, and Taylor Vanderploeg, junior, played Mrs. Sycamore, a playwright with countless unfinished projects. Russian dance instructor Boris Kolenkhov, played by Mo Robblee, junior only added to the chaos.

“The pacing was good and the character work and created stage business seemed to grow logically from each character. What audiences don’t know is how difficult and precise each of those moments is rehearsed,” Foster said. “The ‘rule’ is that 1 minute of on-stage work is equal to about an hour of rehearsal.”

The set echoed the story- a somewhat schizophrenic array of knick-knacks, as constructed by Holly Anderson, Technical Director, and her crew, was just enough to fit the erratic nature of You Can’t Take It With You without distracting attention.
While you may not be able to take home the eccentric props or the 1930’s costumes, it turns out that the themes of You Can’t Take It With You remain relevant. Happiness and pursuit of passion should always trump material items, according to original playwrights Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman, and that’s an idea you certainly can take with you.