Boys tennis season ends in sections loss to Wayzata

HHS boys tennis team falls to Wayzata 5-2 in the section 6AAA quarterfinals.

Benji Bloom

Noah Kaplan, Staff Reporter

In the section 6AA quarterfinal, the defending state champion, Wayzata Trojans were too much for the Royals to conquer.

After a near perfect match versus Minneapolis South in the sections opener with a 7-0 victory losing only lost two games in all 7 matches, the Royals confidence was high and they felt as if  the defending state champions could be stopped.

Although it was split into two days due to rain, the Royals played competitively against Wayzata May 11, and lost by a 4-3 score. In preparation for their quarterfinal matchup with Wayzata, the team picked up the motto, “Why Not Us?”

The match didn’t go the way that the Royals had hoped. The royals quickly fell in a 3-0 loss by losing in one, two, and four singles. The three doubles loss ended the Royals’ season.

With a win by Simon Peterson, junior, at three singles and a two doubles win by Max Rosen, senior, and Sam Diedrich, sophomore, the Royals made the score look better on paper before the top doubles team of HHS lost in a third set tiebreaker to make it a 5-2 Wayzata win.

Although the team may be done, individual’s sections begin next week with single players Chase Johnson, senior, and Ben Matson, junior. Curran Martin, senior, Logan Remington, junior,  will play doubles along with Rosen and Diedrich. All matches will be played at Baseline Tennis Center on the campus of University of Minnesota.

The Royals boys tennis team finished their season with a 7-12 record.