Homegrown tennis coach gives back to alma matter

Benji Bloom

Ali King, coaching the boys varsity team. King was a star for the HHS girls tennis from 1990-1996.

Jordan Zaroff, Staff Reporter

One place has remained a constant in the life of 1996 graduate Ali King: the HHS tennis courts.

King has been playing tennis her whole life and does not only want to keep her skills to herself, but teach them to young kids who want to excel in the sport.

A star for the girls varsity team, King was an all-conference player from the years 1990-1996. King was the number one player for singles from 1990-96, along with being the captain of the girls varsity team.

In 1994, the girls varsity tennis team made a run to the state championship. King won her singles match, helping the team to the state title.

As many coaches do here at HHS, King looks up to soon-to-be MSHSL Hall of Fame coach Mr. Ken Novak Jr., Social Studies and boys and girls tennis coach. While in high school, Novak was King’s tennis coach. 18 years later, they are coaching together. King hopes to teach her players very valuable lessons just like Novak does with all of his players.

“As a player-coach, Novak taught me how to compete, but also how to mentally approach a competition. As a coach now working with him, I have learned how to better approach teaching the mental part of the competition, and he is great about focusing players onto the ultimate goal of getting better,” King said.

After leaving HHS, King attended Penn State, where she played both singles and doubles from 1996-2000. King was named the captain of the girls team at Penn State in 1999, and finished her college career a captain as well.

King continued her passion for the game of tennis as she returned to HHS as the head coach for both the girls and boys tennis teams.

“My ultimate goal coaching is to help young players reach their goals and improve their games. If they walk away from the season having enjoyed themselves and having improved their games, then I have reached my goal,” King said.

As the Royals boys tennis team reaches the midpoint of their season, they stand at a fairly even 5-4 record. A key win for the Royals thus far into the season was over the highly-ranked Breck Mustangs.

“I want my players to love the game of tennis. I also want my players to learn about competition and fight every game, and for them to understand how great the game is for the body and the mind.”