#BlackLivesMatter impacts Metro youth

• Students walking towards the demonstration in MLK Park in Minneapolis

• The #BlackLivesMatter protest at MLK Park.

• HHS students leave school to go to MLK Park in support of the #BlackLivesMatter movement

• HHS students Namir Fearce, Sydney Baird-Holmes, and Jada Daniel at the front of the protest. #BlackLivesMatter

• The protest at MLK Park has at least 1000 participants. #BlackLivesMatter

• The #BlackLivesMatter protest at MLK Park nearly doubled with the arrival of students from Southwest High School.

Callan Showers, Editor In Chief

HHS students are taking action in support of the #BlackLivesMatter movement, leaving school at 11:00 today to make their way to MLK park in Minneapolis.

Rose Soumare, sophomore, Bianca Williams, senior, and Sydney Baird-Holmes, junior, are three of the students leading the movement.

“There has been so much uprising recently, so especially with the black teen youth culture it’s important that we’re all educated and we all know what’s going on,” Soumare said. “It’s really important that we have this through the schools, especially here out in suburban white America.”

Baird-Holmes continued to explain that the participating students hope to show solidarity.

“A large part of it is just to show that we understand that the Black Lives Matter movement is important, that we support Baltimore and Freddie Gray, and that we also support the 36 people who are being prosecuted for the Mall of America protest,” Baird-Holmes said.

Williams stressed the reasoning behind participating in an activism event during the school day.

“We’re doing this during school because it’s important for us to have a designated movement. It also gets the attention of teachers and admin to help them understand the movement. Also, everyone is together and can create a big impact during school,” Williams said.

Despite the students’ need to be proactive in the broader community, Williams was altogether positive about the state, and improvement, about racial inequity at HHS.

“[Support from HHS administration] means a lot since there was no support before. They’re starting to reach out to us more as well. There are still a lot of things to improve,” Williams said.

Williams hopes that walking out and participating in the city-wide movement is respected by all.

“I hope that students here understand why we’re doing this and honestly support what we’re doing. Sometimes, we get negative feedback. I hope they get a deeper understanding.”

The Royal Page staff is at the #BlackLivesMatter movement with students at MLK Park in Minneapolis and will continue to report on the event and provide updates.