Palmer receives Dell Scholarship

Jaelynne+Palmer%2C+senior%2C+is+named+a+Dell+Scholar+by+the+Michael+and+Susan+Dell+Foundation.+Palmer+will+be+attending+American+University+in+Washington+D.C.+in+the+fall.+

Madison Petty

Jaelynne Palmer, senior, is named a Dell Scholar by the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation. Palmer will be attending American University in Washington D.C. in the fall.

Madison Petty, Feature Editor

Jaelynne Palmer, senior, has been named a Dell Scholar by the Michael and Susan Dell Foundation. Palmer will receive $20,000 to help fund a four-year college education.

“Upon seeing my name, I ran into the living room screaming,” Palmer said.  “I finally [told my family] and everybody started breaking out in song. My mom started singing the Jefferson’s theme song, my dad started rapping ‘Started From The Bottom,’ and my grandma was singing a Negro Spiritual.”

The Dell Foundation awards 300 scholarships annually to students who have overcome challenges in their lives, sought out academic help or participated in college readiness programs, and have the dream of obtaining a college degree. The Dell Foundation places a greater emphasis on a student’s determination than their academic record or test scores.

Palmer appreciates her involvement in Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) and the opportunities and skills it’s given her.

“AVID has really taught how best to interact with my teachers. I’m a firm believer that communication is the real key to success and it has definitely worked best for me,” Palmer said.

Along with the excitement, Palmer’s list of contending colleges became greater upon receiving the Dell Scholarship.

“This scholarship is filling the gap for a couple different schools I’ve been accepted to,” Palmer said. “In the future, I’d like to study law and politics. It would be awesome if I could manage campaigns and eventually be the Chief of Staff.”

Palmer will be attending American University in Washington D.C. in the fall to study political science and philosophy.