Track experiences early season success

• Renae Anderson, sophomore, runs the 4×800 meter relay at the Shakopee Relay meet.

• Dominique Brown, senior, puts her hair in a ponytail. Brown ran the 4×400 meters and the 1600 meters.

• HHS athlete runs the 300 meter hurdles.

• Bit Klecker, sophomore, in first place for the 4×800 meter relay.

• Ben Patterson, senior, sprints in the 4×100 meter relay.

• Luci Miller, sophomore, and Cristina Brown, senior, pose for a photo at the Shakopee Relay meet.

• Coach Ronnie Hamilton gives a pep talk to an HHS student at the Shakopee Relay meet.

Kyle Makey, Staff Reporter

On Friday, April 10, the boys and girls track teams competed in the Lake Conference Relays, placing third and fourth respectively. It was the first Lake Conference meet of the year for both teams.

Bit Klecker, sophomore, finished in first place in the mile relay with a time of 5:08.25, beating the next-closest competitor by over seven seconds. Klecker was the lone individual HHS girl to win her event.

The girls distance medley and 4×200 relay teams finished in first, as well. The meet was a success overall for the team who wishes to build off of this and finish higher in future meets.

For the boys, the only team to finish first in their respective event was the 4×800 team comprised of sophomore Seth Eliason, juniors Owen Hoeft and Sam Branson, and senior Austin Nash.

The defending state champion boys track and field team’s third-place finish is not the ideal way to start off the season, but there is plenty of time to work their way up to where they want to be.

In their dual meet against Eden Prairie on Monday, April 13, the girls defeated Eden Prairie handily after Judaisha Jackson, senior, posted two personal-best times in the 100 and 200 meter dash. Siona Fitzhugh, senior, won the 100 and 300 meter hurdles.

Up next for the Royals was the Shakopee Relays on Thursday, April 16 at Shakopee Jr. High.

In the Shakopee Relays, the girls finished in fifth place and the boys finished in third place out of 10 teams, respectively. The girls team saw three first-place finishes in events by the 4×800 team, the distance medley team, and by Ari Brace, senior, in the pole vault.

The boys team saw an all-Royals top three in the 1600 meters, a first-place finish in the 4×800 and the sprint medley, and a meet record in the 4×1600.

On Saturday, April 25, the Royals are hosting the third annual Hopkins Midwest True Team Invitational. The meet begins at 9:45 a.m. and is a favorite among athletes and coaches.