Royal-ty reigns again as girls basketball wins state championship

• Nia Hollie, junior, and Coach Brian Cosgriff are interviewed after the state championship win.

• The HHS girls basketball team poses after the state championship win.

• The HHS girls basketball team dances after the state championship win.

• The HHS girls basketball team receives their trophy for the state championship win.

• The HHS girls basketball team reacts to their state championship win.

• Coach Brian Cosgriff receives his medal for the state championship win.

• Ashley Bates, junior, receives her medal for the state championship win.

• The All-Tournament Team poses for a photo.

• TT Starks, senior, name is announced during All-Tournament Team.

• Nia Hollie, junior, and teammates react to their championship win.

• TT Starks and Madison Zemlicka, seniors, hug after their state championship win.

• Girls basketball team reacts to their state championship win.

• HHS fans cheer on the girls basketball team.

• Dee Dee Winston, sophomore, shoots a free throw in the state championship.

• Nia Hollie, junior, goes for a layup in the state championship game.

• Nia Hollie, junior, helps up Viria Livingston, senior, in the state championship game.

• Aezha Reed, junior, plays defense in the state championship game.

• Aezha Reed, junior, high fives the bench during the state championship game.

• Ashley Bates, sophomore, plays defense in the state championship game.

• TT Starks, senior, plays defense in the state championship game.

• Dee Dee Winston, sophomore, dribbles down the court in the state championship game.

• Dee Dee Winston, sophomore, goes for a layup in the state championship game.

• Evelyn Knox, junior, runs down the court during the state championship game.

• Viria Livingston, senior, looks for a pass in the state championship game.

• The HHS girls basketball team prepares for the state championship game.

• Dee Dee Winston, sophomore, and Bianca Williams, senior, shake hands before the state championship game.

This blog represents the personal views of sports blogger Ben Segelbaum.  Segelbaum’s views do not necessarily reflect those of The Royal Page staff as a whole.

After a one-year absence, the Royals once again occupy the top spot on the Minnesota girls basketball totem pole. The Royals dethroned the 2014 Class 4A state champion Eastview Lightning to claim their fourth title in the last five years.

In their first two state games against Rochester Mayo (quarterfinal) and Shakopee (semi-final), the Royals took a while to get in their groove, playing a tight first nine minutes and then cruising to victory. The Royals didn’t have that luxury tonight against Eastview, a one-loss team.

Though the Royals held the lead for 19 of the first 20 minutes, Eastview refused to be put away, continuing to cut into the Royals’ margin. A three-point buzzer-beater from the Lightning’s Rachel Ranke, sophomore, gave Eastview a 30-28 lead, which was their only of the first half.

The Royals shot 48% from the field in the first half and went just two for six on three pointers. The big difference was free throws, as the Royals went two for six compared to the Lightning’s five for six at the charity stripe. Nia Hollie, junior, was the leading scorer for the Royals with eight points.

“During winter break, Coach made us do a sprint workout. It was the worst, but that definitely helped us through the intensity of this game,” Hollie said.

Similar to the semifinal against Shakopee in which the Royals began the second half on a 19-0 run, the girls came out firing on all cylinders. The Royals quickly took a 36-30 lead.

“At halftime, we talked about keeping pressure on the ball and maintaining our pace,” said Dee Dee Winston, sophomore.

The Royals’ lead kept climbing as a fourth state title in five years crept closer and closer. Their largest lead of the game was 13 with just over 4:17 to go.

However, the 2014 state champs weren’t so ready to give up their crown. The Lightning made a remarkable comeback, getting within three points with just over a minute to go.

Despite the last-ditch Eastview effort, free throws from Winston, TT Starks, senior, and Hollie iced it as an 8-0 run by the Royals closed out the game, giving the Royals a 68-60 win.

“I wouldn’t have been able to make it through the game without Viria and TT. They kept encouraging me, giving me the ball even when I was missing shots,” Winston said. “I wouldn’t have made those clutch free throws without them.”

With this victory, head coach Brian Cosgriff now has a permanent, undisputed place among Minnesota high school basketball coaching legends. Under Cosgriff, the Royals are undefeated in the state tournament, winning a whopping six state titles.

“I’m very grateful to have such amazing players and hardworking coaches. The Hopkins community has been very supportive to me and my family,” Cosgriff said.

Cosgriff’s brother Bradley has been fighting stage four lung cancer for some time now. The girls have rallied around Cosgriff by making shirts and supporting him throughout the process. Bradley did not feel well enough to attend the championship game but was watching from home.

“Coach didn’t ask us to wear the shirts, but we did anyways because we love and support Bradley,” said Bianca Williams, senior.

Starks, Hollie, Viria Livingston, senior, and Ashley Bates, junior, were named to the 2015 Class AAAA Minnesota State Girls’ Basketball All-Tournament team.

Livingston and Starks are the only starters who will be lost to graduation, though the team loses five other seniors: Angelica Wiggins, Bianca Williams, Chaniya Rogers, Ashley Omete, and Maddison Zemlicka. Starks, who began playing varsity as an eighth-grader, has won four state titles in her time with the Royals, and Livingston, who began playing varsity as a ninth-grader, has won three.

“This one is a little different because it is my senior year,” Starks said. “To finish my high school career with a championship means the world to me.”

Both Livingston and Starks experienced last year’s loss in the section semifinals to Eden Prairie.

“We learned a lot from last year’s loss, and that motivated us to come together as a team this year and accomplish our goal,” Livingston said.

The Royals have a talented cast as they look to defend their 2015 title. Returning starters Hollie, Bates, and Winston will be the leaders of a veteran group.

“We [will lose] so many great seniors next year, but I’m confident we can come back and do it again,” Hollie said.