Scholarship opportunities for student athletes

Ben Segelbaum

A display hanging in the Lindbergh Center of the winners of the Ron Sellnow Scholarship.

Justice Feldman, Staff Reporter

Offering academic and athletic scholarships to students at HHS has always been a tradition.

The Ron Sellnow Scholarship Fund has been in place to respect Ron Sellnow’s legacy and the faith he had in the potential of students. “The Ron Sellnow Scholarship started in 2012 when his wife decided to create it,”Joe Perkl, Assistant Director of Student Activities.

Sellnow was apart of the State High School League and USA Hockey Camps Sellnow. Sellnow was diagnosed with lymphoma and later passed away in 2012.

Sellnow served 35 years as a math teacher and a coach at Eisenhower, Lindbergh, and HHS. Sellnow coached in the State High School Hockey Tournament and a team to a soccer state championship in 1983.

To be eligible to qualify for a scholarship, candidates have to be student athletes who excel in their respective sports. You have to demonstrate your ability to overcome challenges and personal obstacles.

If an athlete qualifies, he or she will each receive $1,000.00 to put towards their education at a post-secondary institution of their choice.

Reed Fischer and Leah Chase received the scholarship in 2013 and Adam Tarshish and Margaret Stelzner received the scholarship in 2014.

The deadline for submitting a Ron Sellnow Scholarship application is April 1, 2015.