Defining Consent

Mar 5, 2015

One of the major issues that arises when factoring in alcohol consumption and drug use, Eichele believes, is consent.

TV“When we talk about consent, it goes beyond no means no. It means silent means no, and it means consent can be revoked,” Eichele said. “You have to ask every single time, and you have to be given a yes that is voluntary and excited.”

Ms. Jane Kleinman, Health Sciences, agreed with the need for a clear message of consent.

“I always say that if I had boys, my message to them would be that to get consent, you have to get a yes, and it can’t be under the influence. Just because you’re messing around with somebody and one thing leads to another – that’s potentially rape. You can’t get consent if somebody’s using,” Kleinman said.

Eichele, Kleinman, and Slinde all stated the need for bystander intervention. At HHS, #HDRT was able to exist for upwards of six months. It was never brought to the attention of HHS staff or administrators before The Royal Page’s reporting, and Kleinman sees that as a problem.

“Anytime you hear stuff, you have to say something; as a bystander you have to step up,” Kleinman said.

Eichele defined being an active bystander as “knowing that you have a responsibility and a goal to interrupt assault and preparing strategies to use,” if the need to interrupt an assault arises.

“I tie it not just to being a good bystander but learning how to practice good leadership,” Eichele said.