Geoff pays tribute, sings for Lang

Isabel Hall, Staff Reporter

Ethan Lang, HHS alumnus of 2009 and former member of Geoff, passed away unexpectedly in his sleep on Jan. 30, 2015. The current Geoff members attended Lang’s funeral on Saturday, Feb. 7 to sing “For Good” from the musical Wicked.

“‘For Good’ was a piece Ethan and his choir sang at [his] graduation. It’s a piece for him and his family that holds some significance. If you look at the lyrics, I think it describes what impact he made in his life,” said Mr. Philip Brown, choir director.

Graham Hutson, senior and current Geoff member, noticed what an influence Lang had on other people’s lives during the funeral.

“It was amazing to see how many people Ethan had a positive impact on. It sounded like he was a very energetic and outgoing guy who helped change a lot of people’s lives,” Hutson said.

Other Geoff members understood the significance of the performance.

“We didn’t think of it as a performance but more of a tribute to Lang,” said Robbie Torborg, senior and current Geoff member.

Lang was very well-liked during his time at HHS.

“His personality was vibrant and energetic. He was the guy who took the time to get to know everyone in the high school and didn’t have an enemy in the world,” Brown said. “He had a lot of different friend groups because he was involved in a lot of different activities.”

Lang was a member of Geoff his junior and senior years, as well as theater and the swim team.

“He was a great baritone. His sophomore year, he was a soloist for me at the Lake Conference Varsity Festival and was my student conductor his senior year. He was also involved in the musical ‘Working,’ and the musical ‘Beauty and the Beast,’” Brown said.

Geoff has an impact on members and their families that lasts for years.

“At the funeral, there were at least 15 former Geoff guys who made it a point to fly in from wherever they were at,” Brown said. “I think there is a feeling that they need to look out for each other, and I think it’s great that they can support each other.”