Shahid shines in victory over Edina

• Members of the National Honors Society pose with the money they will donate to the American Cancer Society at the Hoops for Hope fundraiser.

• The HHS bench watches the game at the Hoops for Hope fundraiser.

• Erik Davis, junior, going for a rebound at Hoops for Hope fundraiser.

• Ishmael El-Amin, sophomore, takes a shot at Hoops for Hope fundraiser game.

• Simon Wright, senior, shoots a free throw at Hoops for Hope fundraiser.

• Anne Goodroad, senior, collects donations for Hoops for Hope.

• HHS cheerleaders lead a cheer for students at the Hoops for Hope fundraiser.

Kyle Makey, Staff Reporter

Vinnie Shahid, junior, was hot from the start in Friday’s boys basketball game. He took the opening tip through the Hornets defense and pulled up for a short jumper. This was a common occurrence Friday night.

Shahid dissected the Hornets defense, scoring 28 points in the 91-66 win. He was able to hit from all over the court, including knocking down 2 threes, being perfect from the free throw line, and converting a myriad of layups with Hornet players all over him.

John Warren, senior, added 20 points and was dominant on the defensive end. Xavier Johnson, junior, who didn’t get off to his usual fiery start, picked it up in the second half with nice assists in transition and converted on the fast-break. Ishmael El-Amin, junior, added 12 points.

The Royals’ suffocating defense held the Edina Hornets, now 1-6 in conference play, to only 24 points in the first half and eight points below their season average of 74. Shahid set the tempo on defense by playing tough D on the hot-shooting Hornet guards.

The win marks the Royals’ 20th win of the season, making it 24 consecutive 20 win seasons, by far the longest active streak in the state. The Royals are now 20-4 overall and 6-0 in conference play. They have not lost since the Breakdown USA Tournament on Dec. 13 against third-ranked Maple Grove.

Up next is a showdown with rival Minnetonka tonight at 7 pm at the Lindbergh Center. Tonight’s matchup is the final regular-season home game. Before the game, the Royals will be honoring the senior players and their families for the hard work and dedication they’ve put into the program.

With a win, the Royals would guarantee themselves at least a tie of the Lake Conference title with Eden Prairie, whom they face on Friday Feb. 20 at Eden Prairie High School. If the Royals can defeat Minnetonka and Eden Prairie, they would win the Lake Conference title outright.