Girls hockey season ends with 7-3 loss to Minnetonka

• Hopkins girls huddle up before squaring off against Minnetonka.

• Corbin Boyd, senior, battling for the opening face-off.

• Corbin Boyd, senior, chasing after the puck.

• Kathryn Glover, sophmore, skating around the net with the puck.

• Rachael St. Clair, senior, and Kylie Hanley, freshmen, attacking the Minnetonka net.

• Grace Bizal, senior, taking a shot on goal.

• Stephanie Sween, senior, after delivering a pass to a teammate.

• Kylie Hanley, freshmen, after a stoppage of play.

• Grace Bizal, senior, awaiting to receive the puck on offense.

Ben Segelbaum, Sports Blogger

17 seconds was all it took for the girls hockey team to know they had a long night ahead of them in the section semi-final. 36 minutes and 49 seconds later, the Royals found themselves down 6-0 to Minnetonka.

It wasn’t that the Royals were that incompetent on the ice. It was just that when the Royals needed a save, they didn’t get one.

Shot after shot by the Skippers found its way into the back of the net. On the other end, shot after shot by the Royals was either knocked down in traffic or hit the post.

5 minutes and 42 seconds into the third period, Minnesota Ms. Hockey finalist Grace Bizal, senior got the Royals on the board with assists from Corbin Boyd, senior and Stella Haberman, sophomore.

With the slightest bit of momentum, and on a powerplay, Kylie Hanley, freshman broke free of a Minnetonka defender and hit the five-hole to make it 6-2.

With just over three minutes remaining in the game, Wisconsin commit Presley Norby, junior put the final dagger in the Royals as she scored to give the Skippers a five-goal lead.

Bizal would add another goal, but it was much too late as the Royals’ season came to an end with the 7-3 loss.

The team will lose seven seniors to graduation, including their leaders in goals (Bizal) and assists (Boyd), as well as their starting goalie (Molly Dionne, senior).