School district moves forward with one-to-one technology

The one-to-one steering committee explores the idea of providing each student with a Chromebook next year.

Nate Pasko, Print Editor in Chief

The one-to-one technology steering committee is exploring the option of Chromebooks as the personal device given to each HHS student next year.

“We examined obstacles and opportunities that could arise from each possible device and compiled a list of needs and challenges from each department at HHS,” said Mr. Ivar Nelson, Director of Technology, Media, and Information Systems for the Hopkins School District. “It was quickly apparent that our options were either a laptop or tablet, and through continued discussion, it seems that a Chromebook comes the closest to fulfilling those needs.”

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

The steering committee is including a number of factors in their decision, chiefly the ’80 percent solution.’

“A main concern is finding the tool that can be included in at least 80 percent of a student’s work, with the other 20 percent accomplished through more traditional means,” Nelson said. “We had to consider a number of elements, including what this would mean for teachers, what the device can and can’t do, how we will manage over 1700 devices, and the strains that will be placed upon the Hopkins network.”

At last night’s school board meeting, Nelson and Mr. John Toop, Director of Business Services, presented information to the board surrounding the Capital Projects Levy appropriated to fund one-to-one and other technology projects and provided the board with the expenditures in this levy.

The funds in the levy will be able to support the one-to-one technology. The one-to-one program will eventually be approved by the school board as part of the budget proposal as a whole.

“The school board’s role in this decision is comparatively small but very important,” said Mr. John Schultz, Superintendent.

The steering committee is in no rush to make their final decision.

“Right now, we are taking a deeper look at the Chromebook. There are seven different models to choose from,” Nelson said. “We are under no deadline and are simply focused on making the right decision for both staff and students.”

Members of Student Government are currently beta-testing a few of the seven possible Chromebook models.

The plan with which the committee is moving forward will give every student entering grades 10-12 a device during the 2015-2016 school year.

Stay tuned as The Royal Page continues to report on developments on the one-to-one technology front.