16 student-athletes participate in National Signing Day

Olivia Geiwitz, senior, talks about the college she will be attending.

Kyle Makey, Staff Reporter

Wed. February 4 is just another Wednesday for most students. But for a select few, it is the day they’ve been waiting for their entire lives.

Many student-athletes around the country participated in National Signing Day by signing their Letters of Intent today. The scene at HHS was no different, as 16 student-athletes signed.

“This is by far the biggest class we’ve ever had, the class of 2015,” said Joe Perkl, Assistant Athletic Director. “It’s pretty fun. It’s exciting for the parents and we get to see them go on, and no matter where they’re going or what they’re doing they will always be Hopkins Royals.”

An additional 11 athletes signed back on Nov. 12, making it 27 student-athletes from HHS in the 2014-15 school year. Last year on National Signing Day, only 6 athletes committed.

Here are the 16 student athletes who signed today:

Bill Atkins – Football – University of Minnesota-Duluth – “I chose UMD because it was just a good fit for me, and everybody was welcoming. Go dogs!”

Bill Atkins, senior, poses with his family after signing.

Webb Bolstad – Football – Southwest Minnesota State University – “I chose SMSU because they have such a nice coaching staff, and I felt at home on campus.”

Noah Bragg – Golf – Augustana College – “I chose Augustana because I love the golf coach, the program, the campus, and the city.”

Noah Bragg, senior, talks about the college he will be attending.

Eva Charlesworth-Seiler – Soccer – University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire – “I chose the school because it’s really pretty, and they have a good team.”

Eva Charlesworth, senior, poses with her family after signing.

Olivia Geiwitz – Soccer – University of North Dakota – “I’ve wanted to go there ever since I was 9. It’s always been a dream of mine, so it’s an honor to be able to play soccer there.”

Zachary Haley – Football – Southwest Minnesota State University – “When I visited there, it felt a lot like home.”

Kyle Johnson – Football – Minnesota State University Mankato – “It’s a winning program there. I loved the coaches, the facilities, and the campus.”

Kyle Johnson, senior, poses with his family after signing.

Emma Klancke – Soccer – Southwest Minnesota State University – “I felt welcomed there by the coaches and team.”

Tyler Lee – Football – Southwest Minnesota State University – “It’s a really good community. That’s what I want to surround myself in.”

Tyler Lee, senior, poses with his family after signing.
Tyler Lee, senior, poses with family after signing.

Peter Makey – Gymnastics – College of William and Mary – “I really like all the enthusiasm that the guys on the team had, and the academics are where I want to be going forwards.”

Peter Makey, senior, poses with his family after signing.

Harry Momoh – Football – University of Wyoming – “I wanted to go far away. I want to thank my family, friends, and coaches and every one of my teammates that’s helped me out.”

Harry Momoh, senior, talks about his signing.

Joey Mydra – Football – University of Minnesota – “The school really fits with the business school and the football program.”

Joey Mydra, senior, poses with his family after signing.

Malik Smith – Football – College of St. Scholastica – “They have a really positive environment at St. Scholastica.”

Rachel St. Clair – Hockey – Middlebury College – “I’m super excited to be going to Middlebury next year, and I want to thank all my friends, family, and coaches.”

Photo1

DT Williams – Football – Southwest Minnesota State University – “It really felt like a family atmosphere, and the coaching staff was really cool.”

Peter Williams – Football – Luther College – “The guys and coaches were very personal and that’s what I like. I don’t just want to be a statistic or number.”