Girls hockey thrashes Shakopee

Stella+Haberman%2C+sophomore%2C+celebrating+after+her+goal.+

Stella Haberman, sophomore, celebrating after her goal.

Andrew Fern

Ben Segelbaum, Head Sports Writer

I have to be honest with you – this was the first girls hockey game I’ve ever attended. The last one I even watched was when the U.S. choked the gold medal away to the country up north last February. So my expectations weren’t through the roof for this game between the highly-ranked Royals and the (1-2) Shakopee Sabers.

After covering fall sports in the cold Minnesota weather the last couple of months, I was just happy that I could be inside the friendly confines of Minnetonka Ice Arena, which, believe me, wasn’t a sauna either.

What was burning hot during last night’s 5-2 win over Shakopee was the Royals offense.

Coming off a convincing 6-1 win against Apple Valley on Tuesday, the Royals continued their habit of putting the puck in the net early and often throughout the game.

Stella Haberman, sophomore, opened up the scoring four and a half minutes into the game as she found the puck in a scramble and put it behind Sabers goalie Camryn Noess, freshman.

The puck didn’t find a net again until 11 minutes into the first period when a Shakopee penalty gave the chance for Grace Bizal, senior to get her sixth goal of the season.

Bizal would not be done for the night, as she scored her seventh goal only seven seconds after Shakopee got a powerplay goal of their own late in the first period. That goal tied her for third in the state in scoring and made the folks at Boston College in Chestnut Hill, Ma. even more grateful for her signing earlier this week.

The assist on Bizal’s second goal came from Corbin Boyd, senior who leads the state in that category with with 11.

Seven minutes into the second period, Haberman again entered the score column after getting through two Sabers defensemen on her way to the net.

On the ice as on the soccer field, you can always tell which player is Rachael St. Clair. The senior’s speed is electrifying and no puck or ball is too much for her to chase down.

10:57 into the second period, St. Clair showed that quickness as she stole the puck from an oncoming Sabers forward, zipped by her, and sent a perfect pass to Hope Docter, junior who gave the Royals a 5-1 lead.

Shakopee would score a late third-period goal to make it 5-2, but it would be too little too late as the Royals capped off the win with a three-on-six defensive battle in the closing minute.

The Royals’ second straight blowout win improved their record to 3-1 and gave them a whopping 22-9 goal differential on the year. The team can now rest up before a showdown Nov. 18 with the Orono Spartans.

My three stars of the game:

1. Rachael St. Clair – assists on three of the team’s five goals
  2. Grace Bizal and Stella Haberman – two goals apiece
  3. Molly Dionne, senior goalie – 27 saves on 29 shots