HHS alum Williams capitalizes on opportunity in NFL

Ely Harel, Staff Reporter

On Sunday, Nov 2, HHS graduate Marcus Williams made his first career NFL start. Starting at cornerback for the New York Jets, Williams played a significant role for the Jet’s defense in a 24-10 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

A 2009 graduate, Williams worked hard throughout high school to achieve both athletic and academic success. Williams starred for the Royals’ defense through the 2008 and 2009 seasons.

“Marcus rose to the challenge of doing what it would take to understand the commitment of being a student athlete.  Along with unconditional family support and great teachers holding Marcus accountable for his school work, Marcus was rewarded with a college football scholarship,” said Eric Beal, Williams’ freshman football coach.

After HHS, Williams went on to play college football at North Dakota State University. Williams starred on the NDSU team that won back-to-back national championships, was named as an All-American three times, and set a school record with 21 career interceptions.

After a decorated collegiate career, Williams went undrafted and spent the first month of the NFL season as a member of the Houston Texans practice squad before being released by Houston and signing with the Jets.

Getting his NFL action, Williams led the Jets with seven tackles and even recorded a pass break-up. Williams is scheduled to start for the Jets in this weeks game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.