No longer rocking the vote

Does the lack of presence at the polls foreshadow our generation’s disengagement in future elections? Aspiring politician shares his views on the importance of America’s participation in politics

Nate Pasko, Editor in Chief

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, only about 41 percent of U.S. citizens aged 18-24 voted in the 2012 Presidential election.

I find this level of engagement ridiculous. Though our country’s two-step process of separately registering and then voting is impractical when compared to other countries (some, like Denmark and Norway, keep a national register of identification numbers that are automatically assigned when a citizen becomes eligible to vote) and should be streamlined, voting in this country is the easiest and most direct way to make your voice heard on the federal, state, and local level. It is very important that we, as high school students, are involved in the affairs of this country and that we take advantage of our right to vote.

This is especially true given this year’s elections. It is not a Presidential election year, which means that voter interest and participation will drop sharply (by about 15 percent, according to the Census Bureau), especially among youth.

We are currently at the age in which the decision is made between participating in the affairs of this country or remaining disconnected and disinterested. Many of us are unhappy with the current state of affairs in American politics, and if we want this state to improve in our lifetimes, now is the time to get involved and start making plans for America’s future.

To those who question the value of voting at all, in either Presidential, Congressional, or state and local elections, I ask that you consider the following information.

Many believe voting in a Presidential election means nothing because the Electoral College – the institution consisting of 538 electors that officially elects the President and Vice-President – holds the real power to decide the outcome, but it does not. 48 of the 50 states give all their electoral votes to the candidate who wins their statewide election (the other two states, Maine and Nebraska, allocate their electoral votes based on the election results in each congressional district). This direct correlation between statewide election results and the Electoral College means that each vote is undoubtedly important.

There is also value in participating in federal congressional elections, as they can be extremely close. For example, Minn. Senator Al Franken won by only 312 votes in 2008. As a federal Senator, Franken’s constituency is massive, and his small margin of victory illustrates the importance of each vote.

Local and state races are often won by the slimmest margins imaginable. For example, Minn. State Representative Yvonne Selcer of District 48A won by only 202 votes in 2012. The decisions made by local and state officials have swift and noticeable effects on our lives, and they can be easily contacted and are willing to focus on what we want them to change or improve. It would be simply foolish to ignore your right to vote in a local or state race.

Don’t misunderstand me – I do harbor some of the same feelings of disgust and indifference concerning American politics held by a large portion of the public. In my opinion, our country’s two-party, winner-take-all system is a massive problem. The two major parties are becoming increasingly polarized as much of the public becomes more moderate and centrist, which means that a vast number of American citizens no longer feel that their interests are being represented by their elected officials.

I am just as disappointed as anyone that the two major parties seem to care more about disagreeing with and beating each other than they do about making sure our country is being run the way it deserves to be.

However, I am also disappointed with the lack of respect held for elected officials by much of America. Most politicians run for office with noble intent and independent ideals that are later corrupted by party leaders who force them to vote along party lines or risk a lack of support, both monetarily and otherwise, in the next election cycle. Regardless of their party affiliation, race, age, gender, or socioeconomic status, elected officials are responsible for the operations of this country and deserve the respect those responsibilities entail.

This lack of respect for politicians translates into a general dislike of politics and is yet another reason many citizens choose to not vote.

It is certainly a good thing that Minnesota consistently ranks at or near the top of all 50 states in voter turnout, and I appreciate growing up in a state in which many citizens feel as strongly about the value of political participation as I do. Still, only about 76 percent of eligible Minnesotans voted in the 2012 elections. It is very discouraging when a voting rate of three-fourths is the best in the country.

So, my challenge to readers who were 18 years of age by Voting Day – yesterday, Nov. 4 – or will be 18 by the next election: instead of complaining about issues that concern you on Twitter, actually pay attention to a politician’s tweets or watch a political advertisement without tuning out within the first three seconds. You may learn something, and you may be motivated to make your voice heard.