Seliger Swenson named Star Tribune player of the year

Samantha Seliger Swenson, senior, serves against the Chaska Hawks.

Lucy Pierro, Staff Reporter

Putting to rest a successful 18-6 season, Samantha Seliger-Swenson, senior and varsity volleyball captain, found herself with a victory of her own.

Known to many as one of the nations best setters and leading the 2014 season with 764 set assists, Swenson was awarded as Star Tribune’s Metro Player of the Year on Monday, Nov. 3rd.

“I grew up around the game. I’m pretty sure I’ve been to [or played in] every Hopkins varsity game for the past 17 years, so being around the gym at such a young age really developed my love for the game,” Swenson said.

Also a three-time All-Metro and All-State award winner, Swenson has been playing on the USA’s Youth National Volleyball team since 2010 and has been known to play with higher age levels throughout the majority of her volleyball career.

With no hesitation, Swenson committed to play volleyball at the University of Minn. in 2012 during her sophomore year at HHS.

“One of the most important things I have learned [from volleyball] is perseverance. There is and always will be room for improvement,” Swenson said. “The hungrier you are for success the better you will compete.”

Finishing up her last season, Swenson learned that, while playing at HHS, she discovered more than just the fundamentals of being player of the year.

“Playing for Hopkins has taught me to carry a sense of pride within [my] school,” Swenson said. “Excellence is pumped throughout the school and the athletic programs [which] always motivates me to be a better student and athlete.”