Girls soccer opens State Tournament against Eagan

Ely Harel, Staff Reporter

For the first time in the 32 year history of HHS, the girls soccer team has made it to the Minnesota State High School Tournament.

The team finished the regular season with a record of 9-5-2 including wins over conference opponents Wayzata and Minnetonka. Rolling through the section tournament, the Royals beat Minneapolis Southwest and Robbinsdale Armstrong before defeating Wayzata in a nail-biter to win the Section 6AA championship.

After losing to the state champion the last four years in the section finals, the Royals were relieved to finally break through. “It honestly feels like a dream come true,” said Emma Klancke, senior, “ It feels like we have finally proved ourselves to others because no one thought we could do it.”

Coming into the season, the girls knew it was going to be special. The team is full of experience, including nine seniors who have been playing high school and club soccer together for years.

Along with experience, the Royals feel like they have their most balanced team ever. “In the past, there have been one or two star players, but this year, the whole starting lineup is strong, and it’s a big team effort instead of a few players standing out,” Klancke said.

Along with depth and experience, the team felt like they brought extra intensity to their games. “There are nine seniors this year, and we all wanted to make this a season to remember. I think this helped the team bring intensity to every game. We just took it one game at a time,” said Olivia Geiwitz, senior.

The girls soccer team will play Eagan tonight at Park at Cottage Grove at 5:30 in the first round of the state tournament.