Remembering, honoring life of Sadie Miller, former HHS student

Hillary Donovan, Sports Editor

On June 17, 2014, Sadie Miller left this world. She was taken by a drug overdose at the age of 17, but drugs did not define her.

She loved animals, music, hockey, art, being outside, exploring, and family. She was a girl scout, a goalie, a cat lover, a sister, a best friend, and a daughter.

“Sadie was beautiful. Radiating from the inside out, she was a bright light. She was spunky too. She had a great smile and beautiful eyes,” said Maddy Miller, Sadie’s older sister.

Sadie grew up playing hockey until November of 2013. She played for the HHS girls junior varsity hockey team for three years, and played for the Ice Cougars in the off season.

Brian Abraham, the former coach of Sadie’s Ice Cougars team, met Sadie in the fall of 2009 and grew close with her over the four years they spent together on and off the ice.

“Sadie will always hold a dear spot in my heart.  While nobody can replace an actual father, I certainly considered her an extension of my family and loved her like a daughter. She was loyal to those she loved including myself and she had an infectious smile and sense of humor,” Abraham said.

Sadie was known for looking out for the underdog and the little guy. She consistently defended her teammates and coach.

“She could always see when people were struggling. Sadie would get penalties because she would go after someone that went after her defenders. One time, there was a coach that was giving [Abraham] a hard time, and Sadie inserted her body between the two coaches at the end of the game and started yelling at the other team’s coach, telling him to leave her coach alone,” said Justina Miller, Sadie’s mother.

Sadie grew up in the Hopkins District and stayed at HHS until the fall 2013, her junior year. She then transferred to the school of Environmental Sciences in Eagan, Minn. that fall. After a semester in Eagan she transferred to SouthWest Metro High School in Chaska, Minn.

At the school of Environmental Sciences, Sadie took classes and learned to care for animals at a zoo. She also took classes outside and learned about the environment with hands on experience.

“She loved climbing trees. She was tree climbing at three, and she was like 40 feet up in the air. One time she was out climbing a tree, and her hand got all sticky, and [she] wanted to know what it was,” said Paul Miller, Sadie’s dad. “I said it’s sap, and she said she wanted to make it, so we ended up making maple syrup that year, and that’s the kind of kid that she was. She wanted to know about things and wanted to experience it.”

Sadie had a large sense of adventure. From cuddling with cobras to rock climbing, Sadie took advantage of every opportunity she was given.

“She was an adrenaline junkie, and just didn’t have fear. She was happy when she was doing adventurous things outside,” Maddy said.

Sadie was known for her big personality and her love of life.

“When Sadie was upbeat she filled the room with energy and brightness. She had a lot of life and a lot of spunk in her,” Justina said.

Although Sadie is gone, she has left an outstanding impression on the many lives she has touched. She will always be remembered as the loving, outgoing person she was said to be.

“She was a handful, an eye full, and a heart full. She is going to missed forever and she will be infinitely loved,” Maddy said.