Bursch lays down the law as police explorer

Madison Petty, Staff Reporter

While some teenagers spend their time running away from police officers, Nathan Bursch, junior, runs with them.

“We can pretty much do anything except a police chase, so if there’s a car chase they have to kick us out of the car wherever we are,” Bursch said. “They just point us in the right direction after that.”

Bursch participates in Police Explorers, a program through the Minnetonka Police Department.

“We train with police officers, and they teach us what they do every day,” Bursch said. “We also get the opportunity to meet and talk with them as we aspire to be police officers someday.”

Open to young adults ages 15 to 20, the program is part of the Boy Scouts of America, Learning for Life division, teaching basic skills and providing experience in the field of law enforcement. They’re trained in areas such as first aid, report writing, search and arrest, traffic stops, domestic disturbances, crime scene searches, hostage negotiations, interrogations, and bomb threats.

“We get cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certified, and we go shooting at gun ranges from time to time,” Bursch said.

Bursch first became interested in Police Explorers after his mother read about the New Hope Police Explorers program. His curiosity only increased after attending sophomore orientation last year, where the Police Explorers had set up a booth.

“This program teaches several skills that you can use for the rest of your life such as leadership, teamwork, responsibility, and professionalism. I promise you’ll learn something new and meet great friends in the process,” said Officer Jason Tait, Police Explorers advisor and HHS Police Liaison.

There are many requirements that have to be met to become a Police Explorer, including an application and interview. Furthermore, applicants must be residents of of Minnetonka, have no criminal record, exhibit no drug or alcohol use, and fall within the age requirement.

Every year, the Police Explorers head down to Rochester, Minn. for a conference.

“Last year, we saw a Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team demonstration, and they showed us how to stop a car with flash bangs and loud noises,” Bursch said. “I dropped my water bottle because of how fast and instantly the SWAT team could do that.”

One year later, Bursch hopes to pursue a career in law enforcement as he gains experience in this program. Bursch is also considering joining the National Guard.

“One of my friends from Police Explorers went into it, so he convinced me that I should too,” Bursch said. “I put in my two weeks notice at work so I can get ready for basic training after I turn 17 this month.”

Bursch is also learning to apply his new experiences in his everyday life.

“I’ve learned to trust my instincts,” Bursch said. “At the beginning I was unsure about everything I did, but I’ve gained a lot more confidence in myself, which has helped me with everything I do.”