Violent altercation leads to shelter in place

Nov 22, 2021

As the controversial acquittal of Kyle Rittenhouse was being processed across the country, HHS students organized a sit-in for people to speak out about injustices within the community and nationwide as well as their feelings towards the trial.

The highly organized and anticipated sit-in was disrupted by a fight at the beginning of fourth block, right before it was supposed to start. Little is known about the topic and severity of the fight except for that four students were involved, three staff members were injured while they tried to break it up and there was no gang affiliation. Police and staff were highly involved during and after with paramedics at the scene as well.

This fight had emerged among a series of recent violent outbursts at HHS, an issue that administration had been trying to control and resolve. 

The sit-in continued until around 12:35 p.m. to which students were told to return to their fourth block class. Upon returning to class a shelter in place was announced, and it was later updated that students were to stay in their fourth block class till the end of the school day, with an early dismissal of 2:00 p.m.

Smaller fights later broke out after the larger altercation before the sit-in to which Principal Crystal Ballard enacted the shelter in place in order to “restore calm in the building.”

Ballard sent emails to parents regarding the situation, although students were given very little information as only parents and staff received updates throughout the day.

Administration’s response will have a lasting impact on HHS as some feel the controversial student resource officers(SROs) should return and others believe this is a social issue that needs to be addressed through staff support for students. 

Classes on Nov. 23 will now be asynchronous with a late start of 10:35 a.m., following the usual Friday schedule.