Dick’s Sporting Goods to Move into Vacated Sears in Ridgedale Mall

Apr 23, 2021

One of the most popular places of employment for HHS students is getting a big transformation in 2021.

The Minnetonka City Council unanimously approved the building plans for Dick’s Sporting Goods to be moved into the former Sears in Ridgedale Mall. The finished move will take place by the end of 2021.

The current location of the Minnetonka Dick’s Sporting Goods is in the Westridge Market directly across from Interstate 394.

Greta Mielke, senior, is a current Dick’s Sporting Goods employee and believes the move will be beneficial for the store. 

“Moving the WestRidge Market store to Ridgedale is a great idea because it will help to grow our customer base, as well as our athlete base,” Mielke said. “The store is also going to include a lot of new amenities that aren’t in our current location, so I think a lot of people will be attracted to that as well.”

One of the biggest reasons for the move is the sales aspect. Being located in one of the most popular malls in the Twin Cities versus the small Westridge Market area will make a big difference for the already popular store.

Though in favor of the move, Mielke does have some concerns.

“We have a very large theft problem at our current Minnetonka location, and that is with only one door to get in and out of the store,” Mielke said. “The Ridgedale location will have many more doors so the theft numbers will most likely rise due to that.” 

Though theft is a concern on the minds of many, the move will draw lots of buzz and excitement from customers and Ridgedale Mall connoisseurs.