HHS Seniors Create Mural in Mall in Honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Apr 23, 2021

Five HHS seniors pose in front of their mural created in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness Month

With April 2021 marking the 20th anniversary of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), HHS students are taking initiative to make their peers feel comfortable and safe.

On April 22, students came to HHS early in the morning to put up posters and art in support of SAAM. The artwork included cutouts of hearts, and the statistic, “1 in 3 women”. 

The statistic refers to the World Health Organization (WHO) study that found that 1 in 3 women face physical and/or sexual violence. Students and faculty can place and sign cut-out hearts for those who have faced the horrors of sexual assault or know someone who has.

The goal is to raise awareness within the HHS community and for students and faculty to know that they are not alone and that HHS can be a safe space.

Clubs like Girls United have held in-person and virtual meetings focused on uplifting voices during SAAM, as well as using their social media platforms to inform students on how to report sexual assault and the resources available.

HHS Students can fill out an anonymous student wellness form on the Hopkins Schools website or can pick up a form in the main office to fill out as well.

The National Sexual Assault Hotline is available 24 hours a day and can be reached at 1-800-656-4673.