Netflix Releases New Titles as The Office is Removed

Jan 15, 2021

As we say goodbye to 2020, Netflix decided to leave behind huge titles on their service like “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”, “Fargo” and “The Office”. 

So what programs are going to replace them?

One might be confused to learn that “The Office”, the consistently most-watched show on Netflix for years, is being removed from the service. NBCUniversal paid Netflix $500 million to remove the show and bring it to their service, Peacock, which launched on July 15. 

Unfortunately, HHS students will no longer see Steve Carell being politically incorrect and zoom-ins on John Krasinski’s face. However, Netflix just announced a bunch of new titles for Jan. 2020. Here are a few must-watch movies and shows that will make you forget about “The Office”. 

“Schulz Saves America”

Coming Dec. 17. 

While this pick has been out for a couple of weeks now, it certainly has not lost relevancy. In the Netflix top ten for two consecutive weeks, comedian Andrew Schulz breaks down all the craziness of 2020. However, with Schulz, no one is safe from being made fun of. They say laughter is the best medicine, so joking about one of the worst years in recent history should be pretty therapeutic.   

“Cobra Kai: Season 3”

Coming Jan. 1.

34 years after the events of the first “Karate Kid”, a down on his luck Johnny Lawrence has formed the Cobra Kai dojo and is in rivalry with Daniel LaRusso, the original karate kid, as he formed a dojo of his own. Season three is making headlines as it is bringing back actors/characters from the old movies. Whether you’re nostalgic for the franchise or not, this show is currently rated as one of Netflix’s most viewed dramas and comedies.

“17 Again”

Coming Jan. 1. 

After Mike O’Donnell has second thoughts about abandoning his opportunity at a basketball scholarship for his high-school sweetheart, a miracle happens and he gets the chance to be 17 again. In this solid comedy, you’ll see Matthew Perry navigate a late 2000’s highschool in Zac Efron’s body, while simultaneously fixing his relationship with his family. 

“Catch Me If You Can”

Coming Jan. 4. 

Frank Abagnale (Leonardo Dicaprio) runs away from home when being forced to choose which parent gets full custody of him. Watch how this deceptive and brilliant boy becomes a co-pilot, doctor, and lawyer all before he turns 18. He does this all while being pursued by FBI Agent Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks), as Frank became the most successful bank robber in U.S. history at that time. 

“History of Swear Words”

Coming Jan. 5.

Join actor Nicholas Cage on a journey as he explores the origin, history, and impact of different swear words. There’s not much to say about this one, although it could be a solid placeholder for “The Office”. Both shows could serve as background noise with occasional viewing whenever you need a mental break.