Is the Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X the Answer to Cabin Fever?

Oct 30, 2020

On Nov. 12, 2020, gamers across the world are going to choose how they spend $500 of their own or their parents’ money.

Despite the numerous memes of these respective consoles looking like refrigerators or DVD players inside binders, the hype for the release of the Xbox Series X and the Playstation 5 continues to ramp up. The anticipation is so high that people are buying pre-ordered PS5’s off of Ebay for anywhere from $1,000 to $5000. 

Storage, features, and exclusive games are all factors that students consider before spending their piggy bank money. While these qualities may influence their decision, the deciding factor is whether you are team Xbox or team Playstation.

Michael Gretsch, senior, is one of many students who was once a Playstation loyalist, but is now considering switching to the enemy team. 

“Most of my friends are getting the PS5, so I feel pushed to do the same, but I want to try out the Xbox Series X because it seems to have better specs,” said Gretsch. 

Seniors like Gretsch also need to think about what console they eventually want to bring to their dorm room. 

“I see myself using the Xbox in the future because I feel like it’s the more reliable and fast option,” said Gretsch. 

With the winter coming, and the pandemic not going away anytime soon, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to find reasons to leave your home. Students are going to need a way to cope with cabin fever. So, Gretsch is looking towards video games as a source of socialization and entertainment. 

“Ice fishing and playing video games with my friends are the only things that will help me get through the rest of this rough year,” said Gretsch.