State Fair Drive Thru Brings Minnesotans Back to the Fairgrounds

Oct 9, 2020

Even in uncertain times, the great Minnesota get together has found a way to unite Minnesotans.

Because of COVID-19, the end of summer event was cancelled due to the safety hazards with the crowds that the fair brings in. As an alternative to the fair, the Minnesota State Fair Drive Thru was created. 

You can enjoy a drive through the state fairgrounds, and stop at various locations to receive your food. There are 16 total stops along the one and a half mile route, all with plenty of state fair favorites to choose from. 

“I would recommend going to the drive thru because it is better than nothing and you still get to experience the fair, just in a different way,” said Macee Redman, junior.

Some of the foods you can look forward to are french fries, cheese curds, pronto pups, and Sweet Martha’s cookies. 

“My favorite foods that I got at the drive thru were the cookies and deep fried Oreos,” Redman said. 

The event originally took place at the end of August, but has now been extended due to popular demand. You can now go Oct.1-4 and 8-11, from 10 A.M. to 4 P.M.

Tickets must be purchased before the event, and are $20 per vehicle. Once you arrive, you are given a menu of all the items you can purchase, and you select and pay for each item. 

“I feel like nothing can really compare to the state fair experience, but it’s better than nothing and hopefully next year it will be back to normal,” said Redman.