Excitement Brews as Football Makes a Return

Oct 9, 2020

The anticipation for fall football has been building ever since the decision to move football back to mid-March was reversed during a meeting held on Sept. 21. 

The HHS football team is grateful they even get to play under these circumstances, and JT Zell, senior, is ready to lead his team as co-captain during this unlikely season. 

“At the start of the summer it really looked like we weren’t going to have a season at all, and I thought I would never throw on my pads again. So just getting the chance to play again is amazing, and I am extremely grateful and excited to start the season,” Zell said.

Playing in these unprecedented times have not made things easy for coaches or players. 

On the sidelines, coaches and players are required to be six feet apart and wear a mask. In addition, the regular season is only six games long, and there is no state tournament. John DenHartog, head coach, has adapted and made major changes in his techniques for coaching.

“This is unlike any year I’ve ever coached. The organization, from riding the bus to cleaning the equipment to masks on the sideline, is all very new. Our team is making the most out of the opportunity that we do have and we are thankful for our time on the field,” DenHartog said.

Hearing the news that the fall season was back made several student athletes ecstatic. A positive for many fall football players, is their ability to be recruited and make college decisions in the spring. 

Fuad Hassan, senior, looks forward to making the most out of this season.

“It’s important for us to play this season because it gives a lot of players a chance to get recruited, especially seniors. A lot of my teammates want to play at the next level so every game is a chance to get film to send to colleges,” Hassan said.

Hassan, like many other athletes on the team, is looking forward to continuing his football career in college. 

“We also want to go out there and just play, nobody wants to sit at home and lose a whole year because of COVID-19 while other states are still playing,” Hassan said.

HHS travels to Apple Valley for their first game of the season on Oct. 9.

The Royals are coming into the season with a previous regular season record of 6-2, with one of those wins against Apple Valley.