Naviance Hosts Virtual College Visits

Sep 28, 2020

In a normal school year, college fairs would be held in person. 

Students would be released from their classes for upwards of a half an hour to walk through the Lindbergh center and speak with representatives from a college they were interested in. 

However, this is not a normal school year, and college fairs cannot be in person. Instead, Naviance, a college and career readiness resource website, is providing students with the opportunity to learn about colleges through a Google Meet, being able to ask questions and receive answers in real time with the school’s respective admission’s officer.

Additionally, the schools featured in the Lindbergh college fair were only regional, mostly including schools from Minnesota and neighboring states. With the online college information sessions, students can get information about schools anywhere from Boston, Mass. to Seattle, Wash. 

“The [college] reps were really open-minded to our current situation and were enthusiastic about making everyone feel more comfortable about college searches,” said Tally Shaver, senior.

Shaver also appreciates the numerous other resources that HHS counselors have provided their students for post-secondary planning.

“It’s good to have spaces open for any and all questions, [like with the college information sessions],” said Shaver. “The counselors have a lot of experience in helping uncertain seniors, and oftentimes they have worked with a student in a similar situation as you and are able to provide more guidance.”

Besides connecting students with these sessions, counselors have been devoted to making the college application process as simple as possible, providing step by step instructions to fill out the Common Application, as well as college writing help in ASC.

Though these college information sessions are virtual, they’re still giving students the opportunity to learn more about the schools they are applying to, all in one easy-to-access platform.