Gov. Walz announces school closures for remainder of the year

Olivia Cohen, Editor-in-Chief

As of April 23, via a virtual press briefing by Minn. Gov. Tim Walz, schools will remain closed until the end of the school year. 

The school closure will be in effect statewide, for grades K-12. 

“As a former teacher, this is a heartbreaking decision,” Walz said. “I am sorry for all of our students who will miss out on graduations, tournaments, and end of year celebrations.”

Walz went on to recognize the challenges that distant learning poses for families across the state, while also explaining how the closures are essential to social distancing and the health of Minnesotans. 

As the Walz administration moves forward with education in mind, the governor expressed his concern for the disparities in learning across the state, as announced that along with combating COVID-19, his administration would fix the shortcomings the education system currently has in primarily communities of color. 

Before shifting focus back to the economy and moving Minnesotans back into the workforce, Walz went on to express his heartbreak for the 2020 class, as he hopes this year’s batch of seniors will move into the world with the compassion and experience to prevent a situation like this [school closures] again.

Although there have been no concrete moves to close schools beyond the end of this school year, there has been speculation of schools remaining closed into the summer and even extending into the fall of 2020.