Vikings legend Alan Page comes to HHS

Feb 6, 2020

Mr.+Alan+Page+and+the+club+Incvictus.+

Hopkins Schools

Mr. Alan Page and the club Incvictus.

On. Feb. 5, notions of human connection echoed in the ears of students, as they exited the little theater. 

Mr. Alan Page, football Hall of Fame recipient, former supreme court justice and holder of a Medal of Freedom award, held a Q & A discussion Black Student Union co-president Faith Agboola, senior, and Invictus club member, RJ Chakolis, junior, to discuss his accomplishments, education, childhood and words of wisdom.

“I was always interested in law,” Mr. Page said. “Growing up in 1950s America and having Brown versus Board of Education, segregation was everywhere. The most realistic job thought of for someone like me was working in a steel mill and although it is honest work, I was influenced into wanting more.” 

Danasia Kelly, alumnus, graduated from Hopkins prior to second term beginning. While juggling taking classes to earn her surgical degree at Anoka Tech community college and working in the corporate offices at TCF Bank, she finds the time to come to Black Student Union meetings and Wednesday’s presentation with Mr. Page. 

“I was influenced by Alan Page at a very young age,” said Kelly. “During my SOAR (Student On Academic Rise) program at the junior high, I had the opportunity to hear his wise words, which still resonate with me today.” 

As inspirational mantras continued to spring from every answer Mr. Page gave, he discussed adversity he has faced, the mental transitions he had endured while switching jobs, and even addressing the U.S.’s political climate. 

One of the biggest aspects of Mr. Page’s accomplishments which he discussed was the Page Foundation, a non-profit which aims to support students of color financially as they pursue a college degree. The only repayment the organization requests is volunteer services to children. 

“When I was inducted to the Hall of Fame, the only thing I was thinking about was how I could make this event more meaningful,” Page said. “When considering what is meaningful, you have to use your past experiences to remind you of what you are trying to achieve and help you move forward. The Page Foundation is meaningful to me. Encouraging and motivating men and women of color to pursue their educations is meaningful to me.” 

Following Mr. Page’s mindset of the value of education, Kelly took off work to help facilitate Junior Unity Day, despite her earning her credits and graduating from HHS early. 

“I have left [Hopkins] and I wanted to come back for Junior Unity Day because not only the knowledge I will be gaining is tremendous, but I love offering help to others,” Kelly said. “For example, I took off work to help facilitate Junior Unity Day. I love this school, its resources for students and how the school continues to support us students and bring people together for events like this to do so.” 

When it comes down to Kelly’s view of Mr. Page and the guidance he bestowed upon students, her opinions are made clear. 

“Mr. Page’s accomplishments and approach to life inspire me, not only on the field, but also in the courtroom,” Kelly said. “He is someone who knows the importance of education, has made so many achievements in his lifetime, and still maintains a humble mindset, who upholds himself to an a level of honesty and integrity to what he does.”