New cafeteria finally finished, set to open Monday

Oct 11, 2019

After much anticipation, the new cafeteria expansion has come, and will be open for students and teachers on Monday, Oct. 14. 

The expansion comes after the reduction of the commons space, caused students to have to eat lunch in the old gym, as the cafeteria wasn’t finished by the time school started.

“I’m happy that there is going to be more space because in the old gym there wasn’t a lot of room, so I think a lot of people will be happy with the new cafeteria,” said Sammi Katz, junior.

The space was apart of a 2017 referendum, that was approved by voters in the Hopkins School District.

38% of the $30 million dollar bond went to different expansions, including the 5,900 square feet cafeteria addition to HHS, which will help to centralize lunch in one area. 

Elena Candamil, junior, is looking forward to more natural light that the cafeteria will bring.

“Last year in the commons, there wasn’t much light, so I’m looking forward to larger windows that will allow more light into the lunchroom. I also think having the lunchrooms in one area will add an aspect of community to the school,” said Candamil.

Though some students are still upset about the commons space being reduced, there is growing excitement about the cafeteria, and finally students and teachers will be able to utilize the space.