Live action movies take entertainment industry by storm

May 20, 2019

The movie industry has a new trend. Many movie studios are taking on the challenge to make old cartoon movies and video games look like they are a part of real life.

Disney has recently started to recreate some of their classic movies starting with Alice in Wonderland in 2010, Maleficent in 2014, Cinderella in 2015, The Jungle Book in 2016, Alice Through the Looking Glass in 2016, Beauty and the Beast in 2017, Christopher Robin in 2018 and Dumbo in 2019. They also have many movies lined up for the future with Aladdin, The Lion King, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, Lady and the Tramp, Mulan and Cruella all coming out in 2019 and 2020.

Disney has also announced that Pinocchio, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Lilo & Stitch and The Little Mermaid will be getting live action remakes as well but their release dates are still to be determined.

The video game industry has attempted in the past to create movies based off of their game but have not been very successful. Rotten Tomatoes has not been kind in the past with their ratings on these movies, giving big names such as Tomb Raider a 52%, Warcraft a 28% and Assassin’s Creed a 18%.

Nintendo looks to change these past trends with their newest and first addition to the live action movie market. On May 10, Detective Pikachu released which created a live action world based on the Pokemon video game franchise with Ryan Reynolds playing Pikachu. The movie aimed to make the Pokemon look like they are a part of real life.

Detective Pikachu received the highest ratings ever for a live action video game based movie with a 64%. The audience score on Rotten Tomatoes was very different from the original rating, receiving an 85%. Detective Pikachu has been a big success.

In November 2019, a live action Sonic the Hedgehog movie will be released. The trailers for the movie have gotten many mixed reactions but people still have high hopes for the movie.

This new movement of live action movies has begun to change the movie industry and has created a new standard of what cartoon based movies should look like.