Boys tennis takes down Jefferson

Apr 24, 2019

On April 15, the boys tennis team held a match against Bloomington’s Jefferson High School. They ultimately won in this season opener with a score of five to two.

Felix Johnson, senior, along with a strong supporting cast, gave the team positive momentum going forward into the season.

Their next upcoming match is April 18 versus Breck School, ranked number six in the state, where the Royals look to extend their winning streak to two matches.

This year the team is facing increased pressure due to not being ranked in the top ten for the first time in four years. Head Coach Mr. Ken Novak is attempting to earn a state championship in addition to the title he already won while coaching the boys basketball team.

The team prides itself in having a lot of depth which in turn provides flexibility and versatility when it comes to creating lineups. The Royals are also a young team with 8 of the 12 players being in grades ten or lower. While youth is great for upcoming years, it does present the issues of inexperience and inconsistency.

A quality streak of wins to start the season would really kickstart a season that will influence players that are the foundation of the program for the foreseeable future.