Baker’s Baseball Blog #1, Twins hot start

Apr 22, 2019

The Minnesota Twins have started of the year in one of the hottest fashions in franchise history. Winning 8 games out of their first 12, and then slightly cooling off by only winning one game in their last three games.

Half the time that the Twins have started off 8-4, they have made the playoffs. If they could accomplish that feat this year, that would be the second time in nine years. The last time the Twins made the playoffs was 2017, in which they lost to the New York Yankees in the wild card game, but before that it was 2010.

Their current record is 9-6 and that is good enough to be the 8th best record in the MLB, but not good enough to be first in their division, the AL Central, because the Cleveland Indians are half a game above the Twins.

Leading the charge for this historic start has been Jorge Polanco, shortstop, Eddie Rosario, outfielder, and young star Jose Berrios, pitcher.

Polanco is currently tied for the best average in the entire league with a .429 batting average. Polanco is also leading the Twins in hits, runs scored, and triples.

Rosario is their powerhouse hitter, leading the Twins in runs batted in (RBIs) and homeruns. He currently has 15 RBIs, which 7 more than the second most, and has 5 home runs.

Berrios has been there ace this year, and will be for the foreseeable future. Being only 24 and as dominant as he is will set up the Twins for success in their pitching staff for next few years. He is currently 2-1 with 27.1 innings pitched and 28 punchouts.

The Twins are starting off strong, but have had troubles finishing the season on a high note. Currently they are on pace for a record of 97-65, which seems improbable considering their history.

Granted we are only two and a half weeks into the season, but we will revisit them in a few weeks and see where they place within the league.