Third 2019 National Signing Day sees 10 HHS athletes put pen to paper

Apr 22, 2019

The third and final edition of National Signing Day is here again as 10 HHS seniors choose to continue their academic and athletic careers at their respective colleges. Let’s meet the athletes.

Zeke Nnaji, Boys Basketball, Arizona

After taking home the state championship, Zeke Nnaji is ready to play basketball for the Wildcats of Arizona. Nnaji was the 47th ranked prospect according to ESPN. The Wildcats currently have the number one class for 2019.

Amber Forbert, Girls Swimming, Loras

The senior swim star was huge part of the Girls Swim success this past fall. Her and fellow seniors Molly Meland and Ellen Hofstede were terrific on what was an overall, solid year for the squad. Loras, located in Dubuque, Iowa, had an record of five wins and seven losses in the season.

Zene Boney, Track and Field, UW-Lacrosse

TrackTown MN is poised to have a big season this spring and part of this success is with Boney. The team will look to improve from last year’s true team state meet and take home the crown where it belongs. UW-Lacrosse have finished first place in three of their first eight meets this season.

Ellen Hofstede, Girls Swimming, Gustavus

Hofstede leaves HHS leaving a huge mark on not only the swim team, but the school as well. Her teammates describe Hofstede as a terrific leader and kind person. Gustavus’ girls swim team had a tremendous season, led by Haley Pesik, who won the MIAC Elite 22 award.

Trey Waterman, Boys Swimming, South Dakota State

Waterman has always been an expert when it comes to the pool, look at his name. All jokes aside, it truly was a great year for the JackRabbit commit. SDSU had an .500 season, taking five wins and five losses.

Olivia Gallagher, Girls Golf, UW-Lacrosse

The girls golf team, very underrated, will look to surprise a few teams this season, hoping to take some victories. Gallagher will be a huge part of this success. The senior will try and finish her career with a high note. UW-Lacrosse girls golf have finished top five in half of their meets this season.

Molly Meland, Girls Swimming, UW-Milwaukee

This year’s Athena award winner finishes a truly remarkable career for the Royals. Meland will go down as one of the best in girls swim history and also will hope to contribute in a huge way for the HHS track team this year. UW-Milwaukee went 4-1 in the regular season this past fall.

Zada Olig, Girls Golf, Gustavus

Despite not being highly ranked, the girls golf team believes it has the talent to win. Olig is one of these many talents, she is hoping to lead the Royals this year with fellow senior Olivia Gallagher. Gustavus prides itself on academics as much as it does athletics.

Cydonia Rue, Girls Volleyball, North Central Bible College

The HHS girls volleyball program has always had success. Despite not going to state, the team showed major strides in developing the younger talent, which is where Rue deserves a ton of credit. NCBC is looking to bounce back after a rough season, going 7-24.

Imani Jones, Girls Basketball, Iowa Lakes CC

Hopkins High School is known for two things. Their Boys Basketball team and their Girls Basketball team, for good reason. Imani Jones contributed to the legendary HHS basketball and will be remembered for a long time. Iowa Lakes had a very successful season, going 21-10.

Congrats to all the 2019 spring commits, thank you for showing HHS pride on and off the field, court, pool, and course.