Tiger Woods makes history

Apr 17, 2019

AT&T National Practice Round June 26, 2012

Creative Commons

Tiger woods is back.

For the first time in 11 years Tiger Woods has won a major tournament.  That major tournament was The Masters, the biggest tournament in golf.

Woods has been my favorite golfer ever since I can remember.  The first memory I have of Woods was in 2006 when he won the British Open just about two months after the passing of his father, Earl Woods.

Woods’ last major win, the U.S. Open in 2008, he tore his ACL during the tournament and just days after he underwent his first surgery of many in the coming years.

Woods suffered so many injuries and dealt with so many surgeries over the last six years.  Four different back surgeries and a few other surgeries, a lot of people, Tiger included wondered if he could ever play golf again.

Then last year, Tiger won his first tournament since 2008, Woods won the PGA Tour Championship.

I cannot stress how big this comeback is, the one thing I could equate this to is if Derrick Rose won another MVP. It was such a huge deal to go from the possibility that he could never play the sport again to winning the biggest tournament of the PGA season.

The Masters 2019 will go down as one of the greatest moments in the history of golf.  This was Tiger’s 81st tournament win, fifth Masters win, and 15th majors win, which puts him in second all time behind Jack Nicklaus.

The final day of the Masters was some of the most competitive golf I’ve watched in a while. Throughout the back nine, at one point there were six people that were at at least -11.

Going into the second half of the final round, Tiger was tied for second, then the current leader, Francesco Molinari, choked on hole 15 after driving into the woods and hitting a tree and going water the very next shot.

Right there was when Tiger took control.  After hitting a birdie on 15, Tiger tee’d off on 16 and was about two feet away from an ace.  After his drive, you could see him mouthing ‘come on, come on, come on’, wanting that ace so bad.

After hole 15, Tiger was the lone leader for the rest of the tournament. I was saying all throughout 10 and 15 that Tiger “needs to win, he can’t just not lose”. But after 15, all Tiger needed to do was not lose.  That he did, taking home $1.98 million, his fifth green jacket, and an unbelievable comeback that will go down as one of the greatest moment in sports history.