Album Review: Offset – Father of 4

The Migos are one of the biggest musical groups out right now, so it only makes sense that each of the three members, Quavo, Offset, and Takeoff release solo projects that highlight the rappers’ individual styles. Offset uses his more laid back flow to speak about issues he’s had in his life and the reasons he’s been talked about a lot by the media recently.

The first track of Father of 4 is one of the most introspective songs on the album. The Atlanta rapper opens up about having his first child when he was 17 years old while incarcerated.  “I was 17 years old when I had you, Tryna find my soul when I had you, I was oh so broke when I had you, Locked up down the road when I had you.”

Offset has a lot to say, whether it’s raising four children all with different mothers, or the accusation of him cheating on his wife Cardi B who is the mother of his youngest daughter, Kulture. He acknowledges his mistakes on tracks like Don’t Lose Me and Clout.

Songs like Legacy and Wild Wild West take the more classical Migos approach to lyrics and production. These tracks feature more flexing and bragging than most other songs on the album and retain the normal bass heavy beats produced by Metro Boomin and Southside.

Overall, the intent of the album to go deeper into the mind and struggles of the artist is a good concept in theory, the execution leaves more to be desired. While I don’t think it’s a bad album, it does feel a little repetitive and lazy at times.